Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Is the Glass Half Full or Half Empty?

The Friday before Christmas I was involved in a fender-bender. I hit the pickup truck in front of me and it experienced minor damage. My car, though still running, looks like it has a broken nose. The hood is bent, the grill is broken and apparently, according to the insurance adjuster, it may well be totaled (still to be determined - I should know tomorrow).

For the at least the last 6 months, I've been wanting to get a new car, but I couldn't justify it. My car (a '99 Taurus) was still reliable and in good shape. In my 20 years of driving, this is only my third car, so I have a history of driving cars until they cease running.

So, is this God's way of giving me reason to get a new car? After having talked myself out of getting a new car months ago, now I have to readjust.

Maybe I shouldn't have "talked myself into/out of anything" but just prayed and trusted God. Let Him do the justifying. And thus my questions...was I right? Was I wrong? Does it really matter?

Of course, this may all be for naught, as the adjuster might not have to total the car after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's always the possibility that it was the right decision for then, but now (as we now know) God has seen fit to endow you with a new vehicle.

I've always been intrigued by the idea that sometimes decisions that turn out to need to be altered later or seem "not to have turned out well" weren't wrong in the first place -- they were right for the time, and then things changed. But since it's probably beyond us to second-guess and navel-gaze this sort of thing with great accuracy, I like to stick with the "does it really matter?" answer, provided we are really seeking God's wisdom.

Barb said...

"Navel-gaze"? I don't believe I've ever heard taht term. And the visual it provides is not all that appealing...

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you'd never heard that term -- I thought it was common vernacular.

Anyway, it originally comes from some form of Eastern meditation where you twist yourself around and stare into your navel while meditating, but it's come colloquially to mean "excessive introspection." I'd really forgotten the literal sense of it so long ago that I didn't realize how unappealing it sounds. ;-)