Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Born to Pun

A comment on a recent post chided me for my puns. My response...with a last name like Best, baby I was born to pun.

Example: a few years ago, my sister Cassie was visiting. One evening as we were preparing for bed, she glanced out the window and mentioned that it was a "Brucie" moon. "Brucie moon????", I asked. Cassie explained that before I was born or when I was very little and too young to remember (Cassie is 5 years older than me, Jean 7-1/2 years older, and Bruce(ie)is 10 years older) our Mom named the different stages of the moon based on age. Bruce was the full moon, Jean the half moon, Cassie the quarter moon. So I asked, what was a Barbie moon? She didn't know if there was one. I then proceeded to show her a Barbie moon by "mooning" her.

A few months later during a family gathering someone used the word moon, which sent Cassie into a laugh attack, recalling my "moon walk". This prompted a retelling of the tale. Bruce then started laughing so hard his lips turned blue. But he was able to spit out "That was no moon. That was a planet...the planet Uranus."; to which I replied, "Bruce, I'm tired of being the butt of your jokes."

It's genetic. I cannot be held responsible.

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Yep, definitely worse than Ben-Ezras. There was one time Seth and my Uncle Glenn got into a pun fight on the subject of fish. It was like watching a ping pong game. They both kept their pants on, though, so you are assuredly one up on us. :-P

Anonymous said...

Well, puns are my life!! My wife has no idea how my mind works (it's better for both of us that way).

One time, I entered a newspaper pun contest. I submitted a whole bunch of puns, about 10 of them, I think. I thought sure I'd get at least one of the prizes offered.

But alas, not a one of them won......no-pun-in-ten-did.