Saturday, December 31, 2005

Resolution Revolution

Help! I'm being attacked by the New Year's Resolution monster!!!

I'm desperately trying not to come up with 100 impossible resolutions that are doomed for failure on January 2. Or even 12:01 am on January 1. In fact, even the modest prospect of 2-3 resolutions make me tremble.

It's not that I'm against improvement of some sort...losing weight, exercising, being kind. It's just that I have a tendency to take things to the extreme and become very works oriented. Goals are not wrong, but for me they tend to cause me to wander from what's important.

There's a line in a song by Chris Rice that says "Teach us to count the days; teach us to make the days count." Somewhere inside my goal-oriented psyche I make the days count by how many items I can check off my list, how much I've accomplished. And there's no real satisfaction in that. And that is not what this song, "Life Means So Much", is about.

What counts, what is important is relationships - especially the one between me and my God and Creator. What counts is appreciating what Christ did for ME through His earthly birth, cruel death and miraculous resurrection. And I demonstrate my understanding of Christ's sacrifice by actively demonstrating His qualities to those around me.

And so, this year I'm starting a revolution against resolutions. I'm not making any. Sure, I'll try to eat healthy, remember my family's birthdays, pray more, etc but not because these are on a list, but because they're the right thing to do.

5 comments:

Raquel said...

The fact that I'm joining your resolution revolution has nothing to do with the fact that my life continues to be crazy. Really. :-)

Barb said...

Maybe our revolutionary uniforms could include duct-tape sandals!

Gabrielle said...

Ooh, ooh, can I join, too?!

Barb said...

Sure. Now we can have orange uniforms to go with our duct-tape sandals!

Adiel said...

Barb,
As annoying as it is, I would suggest turning the word verification thingy on. Unless, of course, you really are interested in meeting chris gonzo for a fun night out on the town. ;o)