Sunday, November 20, 2016

Surf City

As I was getting ready for church this morning I started singing to my self the hymn, "O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus". I couldn't remember some of the lyrics so I did a quick Google search to make sure I was singing it right. I know God knows what I mean to say, but I still like to get it right for Him!

As I read the lyrics certain passages stood out to me; the Spirit was prompting me to do more than sing the words but to reflect.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus...rolling as a mighty ocean in it's fullness over me!

Often I've described depression, sadness and grief as waves that wash over me.  Sometimes they're small splashes at my ankles. Other times the waves are bigger, knocking me off my feet; but other times they're large waves crashing over me, threatening to drag me out to sea, Comparatively, however, the love of Jesus is more than a wave, it's an entire ocean.

Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love

Waves of sadness, grief, pain, they threaten to drown me. Their desire is to drag me to the bottom of the sea. The all encompassing love of Jesus has a different aim. It wants to take me in a different direction to a different destination.

...and it lifts me up to glory for it lifts me up to Thee

The deep love of Jesus doesn't sink me but lifts me up. Jesus wants me to ride the wave of His love. He wants to take me surfing!


Photo: Flickr


No comments: