Monday, September 05, 2011

Obituary


Today, my dream died. It was a long and painful death. It has taken years and the dream lived well past it’s prime. By the end it was just a shadow of the dream it was when I was a little girl and it was sapping me of my strength and my joy. Preserving it robbed me of so much emotional energy and adversely affected my other relationships.  It had turned ugly, rotted and had actually infected and was killing ME as well.

When my mom died, when friends have died, when my dog died, I knew they’d gone to a better place; someplace/someone better was waiting for them in heaven (yes, even my dog.  One as wise as John Piper agrees). I knew they were with God. What about dead dreams? Where do they go? What happens to them? I have to believe my dream will be fulfilled by my Father – at least the essence of it, the need in me it was meant to satisfy. But it’s hard. There is an emptiness inside me right now.

When people die there is a grieving period. What about when dreams die? Am I allowed to grieve for a bit?  How is one to mourn a dead dream?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep yourself happy

Jerry said...

pray to God

Anonymous said...

the best way to grieve a dream is to let it be what it is-a dream.!and to go on to a new dream n start pursuing it.

LailahLilly said...

To mourn from one dream, you must understand why it is now dead. Are you now more mature? Is the dream something you no longer want? Was the dream ever your to begin with? Then, you accept what that dream once did for you, and allow it to help you make a new one.

Unknown said...

Be gentle with yourself as you would anyone mourning a loss, and keep your eye on the horizon and your feet in the moment. Bring the light of truth to your heart and honor the dream as you would your spirit, it's the same thing essentially. Be gentle with yourself and as another commenter said "Keep yourself happy".
That's my two cents.

crazyhappybrokengirl said...

I have felt this way before. I really felt like I knew what you were saying, how you felt. Something that helped me was to allow myself to grieve it a little, then find something new to look forward to, work towards, or hope for. And like Jerry say, pray. You can't go wrong with that.