Sunday, August 01, 2010

The Power of Powerlessness

When I was employed, Sundays were the hardest day of the week for me. It was the day when I was most alone, left to my own thoughts. It was the day when my feelings about those thoughts overwhelmed me and my emotions would rage out of control.

Now that I'm unemployed, virtually every day is Sunday, to this regard. Though I try to keep busy, there is still too much down time and my disatisfaction with my life, and my thoughts of failures past and present take over.

Today, on my way to church I was mulling over all my shortcomings, all my mistakes, all my sins and I was overcome by my powerlessness. I can never change the past. I can never make up for bad decisions I made throughout my 49 years. I will never be able to catch up to where I should be. And then God (gently) flicked me on the head (He does that to me sometimes) and said "AHA!" and I said in my most quiet, mouse-like voice "oh" (I do this with Him alot).

I AM powerless. My anguish comes when I think I actually have power. But I was created and adopted by God Almighty, who is NOT powerless. Not only is he NOT powerless, He IS most powerFUL. He is the only one able to actually keep the promises He makes and because of this, I can trust and truly hope in Him.

His promises weren't quitely communicated, either. He put them out there in His Word, for all the world to see and hear. He keeps His word; He doesn't have to worry about someone pointing out some flawed thinking or failure on His part. This is the one, true and perfect God here; not some fly-by-night philospher hawking self-help DVDs on TV.

A few verses come to mind:

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil,to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights." James 1:17

"For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,and chastises every son whom he receives." Hebrews 12:6

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2Cor 12:9-10

All I need to do is remember all this tomorrow morning, when faced with the blank page that is my day.

4 comments:

Adiel said...

Well said, Barb. And I do hope you are able to remember this. Love you!

Jason Ohler said...

I wish you the best of luck Barb on finding a new job. I personally cannot imagine what it must be like not having a source on income. Although, I do believe you've been blessed with many friends who love and care for you, so you are not alone.

I'm sure you'll get another job eventually. Until then, do not give up hope.

Oh... and this might be a little off topic, but I've heard you'd like to try shooting sometime. I can definitely help you out with that, and I would be honored to "show you the ropes".

Just let me know when you'd like to go (lol, but preferably sometime when it's not snowing... although, I have shot in blizzards on several occasions)

Oh, and don't worry about paying for ammo or targets-- I'd be glad to cover for you, you can borrow my gun as well.

Barb said...

Jason,

I don't think shooting is off topic. I think there may be a direct correlation between my unemployment and my desire to take up shooting. Frightening, isn't it! Still want to show me the ropes???? :)

I'm goign to take you up on the offer - no backing out, now. When you get back to town we'll set something up.

Thanks for the offer and the words of encouragement.

Em said...

Thank you, Barb. I can relate to what you share here, even though my life is different..I still have the times when my mind tries to figure things out - it is not possible without Him. I love what you write- it's inspiring!
May the God of hope fill you with believing thoughts!

Love,
Em