Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Unfit for Duty

If the joy of the Lord is my strength, then my joy is pretty flabby and out of shape. But what fitness regimen is there for joy?

Unlike the body, I can't force joy exercises upon myself. Contriving it just makes things worse. There are no joy vitamins to fortify my spirit and eating right doesn't nourish me emotionally. While many self-help gurus have joy DVDs to sell me, outlining their 10-Steps to Joy, they're of little use.

It seems there is nothing to DO to attain joy. Meanwhile I feel joy weakening by the minute.

1 comment:

james3v1 said...

The regiment for joy is to consider those things that God does to dwell on them, and to remember that hardship produces glory (1 Peter 1).

And to dwell on what is to come! The trials are for "a little while" and the rewards are eternal.

Spend some time in 1 Peter chapter 1 today--it's like a spiritual treadmill for the calves of joy.