Monday, August 27, 2007

Parts is Parts

The hospital where I work belongs to a Group Purchasing Organization (GPO) who negotiates contracts collectively for all it's members, thus allowing smaller institutions to garner volume pricing. The contracts run the gamut of medical products, furniture, plumbing supplies, and food. Anything a hospital might need.

Today, I was reviewing a contract update listing some new or revised contracts for various product categories - Urological products, Nebulizers, Masks, and...Further Processed Chicken. Further Processed Chicken? Not just Processed Chicken?

I think I'm going on a "no chicken" diet - processed, further processed or otherwise.

3 comments:

Adiel said...

Next time I have a baby in your hospital remind to not order the chicken. ;o)

Anonymous said...

I suppose injecting some explanation in here would spoil the fun, but here's how I think it goes:

Unprocessed chicken:

Running around clucking, or lying there uncleaned, unplucked, uncut. You don't want this.

Processed chicken:

Cleaned, plucked, cut, wrapped, delivered to your grocer's case. Perfectly fine stuff.

Further processed chicken:

Frozen, precooked, canned, whatever else you're going to do to it. Maybe good, maybe not.

Barb said...

Oh, Pentamom, you take the fun out of everything. I bet you make your pentas eat their veggies and stay off the roof.

Seriously, while your explanation makes sense, I don't think that's what they had in mind. I have a (gut?) feeling further processed is kind of like spam or mystery meat.