Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Happy Birthday, Sir Laurence Olivier

On the commute home today, I was listening to an NPR piece about Sir Laurence Olivier. Today would have been his 100th birthday.

During the report, they featured a classic clip from the movie "Marathon Man" where he played a crazy Nazi dentist who was drilling Dustin Hoffman's teeth. Listening to the actors and the drill, I could actually smell the burning odor of freshly drilled teeth! Then I realized I was driving by Ricardo's Restaurant and they were having their outdoor BBQ Rib Sale.

But I would still have smelled the burning odor even if I hadn't been driving by Ricardo's. He was that great of an actor.

4 comments:

a pain in the back said...

Gasp! You listen to NPR?!?!

Barb said...

I must have been getting bad reception on all the other stations that day.

Anonymous said...

I confess, I listen to NPR more than occasionally (though I wouldn't say quite regularly) and heard that very report!

The funny thing is the new electric pencil sharpener I bought sounds oddly like an oversized dental drill. I always shudder when the kids use it.

Barb said...

Ouch! Pentamom, have you ever considered mechanical pencils?!