Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Case of the Missing Biscuit

I was preparing some Pillsbury Refrigerator Biscuits when I left the kitchen for a minute. When I returned, one of the raw biscuits was missing from the baking sheet. There was only one explanation - a dog took it. But which one?

Because raw dough containing leavening agents can cause great gastric distress for dogs (many times requiring expensive surgery), I phoned the Pet Emergency Center for advice. They told me to induce vomiting in the guilty dog. Vomiting is induced in dogs by feeding them Hydrogen Peroxide - 1 Tablespoon per 10 pounds of dog. That meant 1/4 cup for Dora and ~1/3 cup for Grace.

While I was pretty sure Dora was the guilty party, I couldn't take the chance. So I had to force feed about 2/3 cup of peroxide down two very uncooperative dogs, walk them around a bit to speed up the nausea and wait for the biscuit dough (and the dog food they'd eaten about 15 minutes before eating the dough) to reappear. It did...all bubbly and foamy from the peroxide...in my backyard, in the front yard, and (because of unwarranted optimism on my part that all was well) in my living room. Well, at least I had the incentive to scrub my carpets this evening!

3 comments:

Raquel said...

Oh my. I might have to rank that as worse than my experiences with children's vomit. Hopefully the stomach bug wending its way through our house doesn't leave me with any new and more impressive stories...
And hopefully your dogs have learned their lesson. After all, dogs are sooo good at learning by their mistakes. Right...

Gabrielle said...

Yep, you just toppd all my vomit stories. Though I'm not sure you want that distinction.

Jonathan said...

I have cleaned up pumpkin that came up the wrong way from a cat. We can add yogurt to the list now too. Aren't pets grand!!